About this Blog
Published by Naked Ryan - 23rd Mar 2014
Welcome to the Naked Blog!
This blog exists to tell all the incredible stories of Naked Angels and the dozens of winemakers they support.
You’ll hear about
- incredible stories from the winemakers
- get a peek behind the scenes at Naked HQ
- learn about the wine world from industry insiders
My name is Ryan O’Connell, and I do a lot of the posting. I was an independent winemaker in the south of France and around 2009, Naked Angels rescued my family’s business through crowd-funding. Read more about my mission here.
What is NakedWines.com?
This is a customer-funded winery. We’ve got over 100,000 American wine drinkers who found a smarter way to enjoy high-end fine wine made by hard-working independent winemakers (like my family!)
- 200,000 of our customers set aside $40 a month to spend on our wines — we call them Angel investors.
- The money builds up in their accounts until they order wine — they order what they want whenever they want.
- While the money sits in their account, we invest in independent winemakers around the world.
- The winemakers think it’s brilliant because they get funding AND they know exactly who is going to buy their wine — their Angel investors.
This direct relationship between wine drinker and winemaker cuts out a lot of wasted costs like sales, marketing and financing. So the winemakers get to offer savings of 40-60% off some stunning world-class wines. Pretty smart, right?
We’ll have loads of fun along the way
The traditional wine industry takes itself way too seriously. We believe that all you need is a glass and some good friends to enjoy our wines – no pretension required. So grab a glass of wine, kick back and enjoy reading!