What does a Winemaker of the Year drink?
Published by Naked Ryan - 10th Apr 2019
Stephen’s favorite wines – revealed!
A guy with that many accolades must have one epic wine collection, right? It got us thinking… 🤔
…What does a Winemaker of the Year like Stephen Millier drink?
We asked, and not only did Stephen deliver a list – he curated an exclusive case of his favorite fine wines for Angels. Now he’s revealing what’s inside!
How to build the perfect case of fine wines, according to Stephen Millier:
- Start with a few classics
First, Stephen says, classics from France are a must – like Patrice’s Pouilly Fume and JP’s vintage Champagne Brut. “Liz and I always keep 2 glasses in the freezer for this sparkling wine – you just never know when the right occasion is going to come up.
- Always have different vintages on hand
You won’t believe what difference a year makes! Taste for yourself –buy several vintages of the same wine and pour them side by side. A great wine for this is traditional Spanish Tempranillo. It’s easy to find bottles aged 5, 10, even 15 years. “I picked vintages ranging from 2012-2016. This wine is made to age, so I’m sure it’s going to be a delight.”
- Be playful – pick out wine you’ve never tried!
For Stephen, new world reds from Australia and Chile are refreshing, innovative, and always a source of inspiration. He’s tried thousands of wines – but he knows there are thousands more to discover! “I think of Cabernet Sauvignon when I think of Chilean wines, so Syrah is a nice surprise – I look forward to giving that a try.”
- Play favorites – make sure you have a few bottles handy of your go-to’s
For Stephen, that means sneaking in a few of his favorite Napa Cabs and Sonoma Pinot from Wine Country. “These are really fine wines – made by friends of mine!”
- Serve at your leisure
Stephen’s Fine Wine Case might be loaded with world-famous wines – but he insists you enjoy them casually. “I never have to wait for an occasion to try them – when I try them, that’s the occasion,” he says with a wink.
Read more about Stephen’s recommendations
- Daryl Groom DRG Daryl Groom Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 2017
- Ken Deis Reserve Rutherford Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
- Matt Parish Special Bottling Rutherford Petit Verdot 2016
- Antonio Diez Martin Ribera del Duero Crianza 2015
- Carlos Rodriguez Morum Rioja Reserva 2012
- Carlos Rodriguez Valpopi Ribera del Duero 2016
- Jonathan Maltus Medoc 2016
- Benjamin Laroche Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons Vieilles Vignes 2015
- Patrice Grasset Pouilly Fume 2017
- Jean Philippe Moulin Champagne Brut
- Irene Paiva’s i-Latina La Armonia Vineyard Syrah 2016
- Adam Barton’s Rabbit & Spaghetti Icon Reserve Shiraz 2016
Is your favorite on the list? Have another Angel-funded fine wine you love? Tell us in the comments section below!