What does it mean to be biodynamic, biodiverse, organically farmed, and sustainable? For these producers – the world.
From installing beehives, raising weed-eating chickens, and building ponds in Priorat, to adding native plants that attract pollinating insects in Minervois, developing intricate composting systems, adapting to warm-weather droughts, and dry-farming the most precious hills of Tuscany, Naked’s winemakers are turning a new leaf in the world of eco-friendly winemaking.
In turn, they’re setting the bar high for generations of independent winemakers to come.
“It’s not a case of trying to farm like the middle ages,” winemaker Stefano di Blasi says, “but four hundred years ago we had much more balance in our agriculture, and modern farming practices have simply taken that balance away.”
Through careful, meticulous, and loving vineyard practices that restore health to their earth, meet the farmers and producers who make the world’s great wines – and the world a better place.
Meet 5 of Naked’s Earth-first winemakers
- Ben Darnault’s love affair with slow viticultureHe’s seen the South of France come alive through biodynamic farming. For Ben, it’s all about restoring nature’s balance.
- Chris Condos: California’s organic pioneerConvincing farmers to grow organically was incredibly hard in the early days – but Chris has spent 20 years inspiring the world to change
- Franck Massard’s regenerative missionAngels – and the ancient Amazon – inspired one winemaker to make a historic sustainable vineyard in Spain.
- Nicholas & Marshall Miller scale up organic farmingHow a sibling set of 5th-generation Paso Robles farmers are primed to make wine with a conscience.
- Randy & Cheryl Phillips keep a bird’s-eye viewA beloved farming couple have made the top wines in Paso Robles for more than three decades – by putting nature first.
- Stefano di Blasi’s sustainability pledgeAn Italian winemaker is winding back time – when wine production emissions were non-existent.
Join Naked in support of
World Environment Day
World Environment Day 2021 calls for urgent action to revive our damaged ecosystems. #GenerationRestoration
Read more Naked News:
- Our diversity promise
- Naked officially named 2020’s Best Wine Club – by USA TODAY
- The incredible perseverance of Carmen Stevens
- A $5 million thank you: Alice Warnecke Sutro
- Top 10 indie winemakers you need to know
- How a Mendoza maverick mastered vegan winemaking
- Giving back in a time of COVID – two winemaker videos tell the tale
- To fight a deadly disease, one winemaker’s craft is hand sanitizer
- The world-class Cab Franc you helped rescue
- Napa shouldn’t give up on the 99%
- Nakedwines.com celebrates 7 years!
- Me & Monsieur Jones: A winemaker love story